Sunday, May 30, 2010

Single Potato ISO creamy, low-fat dressing

Let me just start out by saying that I love potato salad. At least, I always thought I did. Potato salad, in my world, should be equally made of potatoes and eggs, seasoned with celery for crunch, onion for spice, and pickles for tartness, the assorted flavors held together by a creamy Miracle Whip glue.

I don't, however, love making potato salad. For a household of 2, the cutting and cooking of the potatoes and eggs, plus the various dishes that are required to cook and mix all of it - too much work for a pair of busy working people.

I've been on the hunt for several weeks now for something unique - a potato salad that made people sit up and take notice. The evil genius of potato salads, as it were.

My first attempt, a couple of weeks ago, came out bland and traditional, not much different from the salad available at the deli.

Tonight's follow-up came closer.



Inspiration for tonight's salad came from several places. From Molly Wizenberg's book, "A Homemade Life", I got the idea of using ranch dressing for flavor. From several healthy cooking magazines came the half nonfat mayonnaise, half yogurt base for the dressing. And from an unknown source came the inspiration to thin the resulting dressing with buttermilk to make it coat the potatoes better.

Some notes:

  • I was raised on Miracle Whip, and regular mayonnaise has never tasted right to me. So I use Miracle Whip - you can use either one, according to your taste and what you have handy.
  • My husband is lactose-intolerant, so in deference to him, I try and use non-dairy ingredients when I can.

Poppy's Potato Salad, Take 2

Serves 2+

4 Yukon Gold potatoes, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
4 large eggs, boiled
1 stalk celery, sliced thinly
1 leaf mustard green, sliced thinly
1 pickle, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Miracle Whip Free
1 Tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
1/2 tsp. stone ground or dijon mustard
1/2 packet buttermilk ranch dressing mix
1 Tbsp. buttermilk

Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain and add to a medium bowl. Add the vinegar to the potatoes and toss. Set aside until cooled slightly.

Chop the eggs roughly and add to the potatoes. Add the celery, mustard green, and pickle to the bowl and toss.

In a small bowl, mix the Miracle Whip, yogurt, anchovy paste, mustard, and dressing mix until evenly mixed. Add buttermilk and stir. Pour dressing over potato and egg mixture and stir until blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to allow flavors to mingle.




Take one, with celery and capers


No comments:

Post a Comment