Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Brunch

When I was a child, my mother told me she didn't like fruit salad. Every time I asked her for some, she objected. As a teenager, though, it became clear that we were talking about two different things.

When I think of fruit salad, I think of a big bowl of fruit, with little or no dressing. My mother things of the confection frequently found in supermarket delis, small bits of fruit wrapped in a foamy marshmallow soup.

So for Mother's Day, I'm making her fruit salad as it should be.

Our Mother's Day Brunch Menu:

Scrambled Eggs
Smoked Salmon Quesadillas
Lime-Ginger Fruit Salad
Blueberry Muffins
Orange Juice









This is a Lime and Ginger Salad, adapted from a WeightWatchers recipe.

To make it, first grate or zest 2 small limes. Set the zest aside for later. Juice the limes and add as much lime juice as necessary to make 1/3 cup of lime juice.

Next, grate or zest an orange. Set the orange zest aside with the lime zest. Juice the orange. You want 1/4 cup of orange juice.

Add the lime juice and the orange juice to a small saucepan with 1/3 cup of water. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar - I use a sugar and Splenda blend to reduce the overall amount of sugar - and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered ginger (my next attempt at this salad, I intend to use grated fresh ginger instead.) Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Wash and cut the fruit - I used mangos, grapes, strawberries, and bananas - until you have about 3 cups of fruit. Toss the fruit with the dressing and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment